Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Overuse!!!

Hello people, I'm as obsessed now with all of the cool map applications, and flash elements about the election as anyone, but wow.

Personal fave of the day: http://elections.nytimes.com/2008/results/president/map.html
Zooming in on the counties is super fun! Yes, I said "super fun" and if you have a problem with that... well... (nevermind).

Could the tv networks have gone any more nuts last night with overuse of graphic gadgetry? I couldn't even watch the HD broadcast of Fox News. I settled on the slightly more subdued CNN. If you were watching on a non-widescreen broadcast, you missed the absurd number of extra elements along the sides of the image. Fox had every piece of text glistening with visual effects, and a slew of constantly changing graphics that I never knew what to look at.

On top of that, every time they went to one of their people to show another chart, things were swirling around in the background and foreground. It was headache inducing.

I miss Tim Russert and his whiteboard. It was though, nice to see his son on the NBC broadcast last night.

Regardless, I enjoyed watching history unfold for me on television, and will remember this election forever. Congratulations to Mr. Obama.

No comments: